Monday, January 14, 2008

Who wants ICE?

I just finished a 7 mile run in the snow! Nothing like midwest winters for training, huh? I am training for my first marathon in late May and since I'd rather sit and watch the weather channel for an hour than run on a treadmill, i elected to run outside. I would describe myself as a once "run to train for other sports" runner turned "run because i can't play those other sports anymore" runner. Biomechanically, I'm built for every sport but running, so I take a good deal of wear and tear on my body as I run. The first thing I do when i walk in the door, eventhough it's sub-freezing temperatures outside, is grab a big bag of frozen peas and put them (this time) on my right knee. It's really not sore right now, but i felt some little twinges when i was running....you know, those things that are supposed to tell you that it's not in your best interest to run the remaining three miles, but your brain and ego tell you otherwise. So, bag of frozen peas for 10 minutes. Just for preventative measures. Like some people stretch religiously before and after running, i tend to do a lot of icing when i get up to higher mileages. In my opinion (and in the opinion of most of my joints at one time or another), ice is one of the best anti-inflammatories nature has to offer. And for the most part, it's free. No prescription required. Ice has probably saved me from numerous chronic overuse injuries and prolonged my recreational running career. So, until next time, Who Wants ICE??

No comments: